Buying a boat is a huge financial and emotional commitment that many people are simply not ready for when all is said and done. The excitement of getting in that boat with friends and cruising around the water quickly fades when the bills start mounting and that joy turns to frustrations.
Before you jump at the chance to buy that boat and start searching for a boat for sale, consider these 6 tips to help you make the most of this buying experience.
1. Be sure you are right for this boating lifestyle. Unlike owning a car or motorcycle, you really have to love the whole process from trailing your boat, maintaining it, to storing it. The best way to get a glimpse is to hang on as many boats with friends to see if this lifestyle is all you imagined.
2. Get a smaller boat than you first imagined. If you fall out of love with boating, it will be easier to get rid of a smaller boat. Besides, if you do love boating, think how exciting it will be to jump up to a newer and larger vessel each year as your love grows.
3. Hit the local boating show and become a human sponge. Not only should you gather as much information on as many boats as you can, here is your opportunity to ask a million questions all in the same place. You also get to see any new exciting features coming out this season.
4. Grab a pen and paper and start jotting down all the costs involved with owning a new boat. besides the cost of the boat, there is insurance, permits, maintenance, fishing equipment, a trailer, storage, and dock fees. Add everything up and then see if you still can afford the boat you want.
5. Don’t pay more than you should on a boat just because you are completely caught up in getting out on the water. Just like car sales, boat selling prices are negotiable. If buying from a private owner, chances are they want out fast so they would be willing to take much less than they are asking.
6. Consider the costs of buying a trailer for the boat as opposed to paying an annual fee to have it kept and maintained at the local marina. Not only do you have more control when using a trailer to move the boat, the cost is going to be significantly less over time.
Weight these six options carefully and then you will be in a great position to find the boat of your dreams and enjoy your time on the water each trip out. When you get ready – start your search at Boatmo.com